Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Merrily We "Roll" Along


(copyright Warner Brothers, DC Comics)
I know, I know. It's a stupid pun. The comic, though, was so-so. All the cover story was was Space Jam with roller skates. Not a bad thing. It's just kind of unusual. The author acted like Bugs and Lola were actually married or something. A little uncomfortable. Then again, it's probably no different than Honey Bunny, the proto-Lola of the 70s, if you will:

(image from eBay)

Anyway, the rest of the story was OK, except Bugs started spouting slang terms "all the cool kids are using," like "noob," which is just another word for "newbie." Why would Bugs Bunny say something like that?  I know Bugs is a smart aleck and all, but it still doesn't seem right. Other than my confusion about the slang usage, the art was awesome, except it came with that weird thing where the characters feel as though they shouldn't be wearing the clothes they're wearing. I don't know if any of you know what I'm talking about, but just look closely at the Crusher's feet on the cover. You'll find it...

But like I said, I liked the art. Even though it sometimes looked like clip art, it was still kind of like how I would draw the Looney Tunes, of course, I'm not doing a very good presentation here, compared to the art:

(Author's Note: I could do better on paper, but I'm not the best scanner in the world...)

Other than that, it was a pretty OK issue. There was a story where Tweety participated in the Olympics, (I've never really liked the Tweety and Sylvester stories anyway) two Earl Kress stories, the first starring starring Hubie, Bertie, and Witch Hazel, and the other being a quick gag about baseball. (Now how do we get the latter in a cartoon?)

-PJW (who's sorry she's late!)

No comments:

Post a Comment